Tuesday 2 February 2016

Shocking Foods That Contain Gluten - Behold!

As I trundle along my lonely path of gluten free I often find red herrings along the way.

Well actually I’m a total drama queen because being gluten free (or Coeliac as I am) is not so lonely any more – it’s a rather fab community of cool people!!

Anyhoo I digress…..

Just when I think I have conquered the gluten free world of what is and what isn’t gluten free, another slap in the face comes my way.

So I thought I’d share some of these with you just in case you didn’t know either!

Sushi

Mmmmmm one of my favourite foods. So let’s check what they have in it:
-         
      Rice – gluten free – check!
-          Veg – gluten free – check!
-          Fish – gluten free – check!

But what they don’t tell us is there is often soy sauce mixed into the ingredients L
So even though it should be gluten free often Sushi is not.

Best thing to do – flip over the container and check the ingredients before buying.

When I do find Sushi packs that are gluten free I obviously never have the little bottle of soy sauce packed in there as that is never gluten free.

Crisps
Or Taytos as crisps are fondly referred to in Ireland by some!

They are potatoes right so they must be gluten free?! Wrong!! So many crisps are not gluten free.

Like for example the Hunky Dory crisps – the salt and vinegar ones contain gluten but the Buffalo flavour does not!! However there will be cross contamination at the plant so for a Coeliac this is a no no for someone just choosing to exclude gluten this may be an option.

But all is not lost there are some yummy ones out there so if you are unsure, simply choose the ones who openly advertise they are gluten free like the Tayto Bistro range. Guess who hogs all of these on movie night?!


Salad dressings
Healthy right? Can’t have gluten? Wrong!!

Many salad dressings contain thickeners. I almost always go for a vinegar based dressing (not malt that has gluten) but my favs are balsamic vinegar, apple cider or the wine vinegars – because they are almost always gluten free unless something really funky has gone on!

So just a few examples of what to look out for in the world of gluten free.

My advice, regardless always check the labels.

I can pick up a bar of chocolate or ice cream and behold gluten is in there! Damn you gluten and your crazy hiding places in my yummy treats!!!

But we are lucky we have plenty of delicious alternatives these days and it’s only going to get better and more cost effective.

Check out my latest ‘on the go’ find in Aldi – I have never been a bread lover gluten free or not so a sandwich on the go just doesn’t do it for me. But this yummy find I am delighted with.


If I am home I roast some sweet potatoes to bulk it up – hey presto Heidi is a happy camper.

So that’s all for now gluten free campers.

We would love to hear your stories and your gluten free finds.

Don’t forget if you are a business who offers gluten free options make sure you add your business to our directory! You can’t win it if you are not in it! http://glutenzone.ie/join

Have an awesome gluten free day.
Heidi

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment