Sunday 24 January 2016

What I Hate Most About Being Gluten Free



Being gluten free has many challenges.

In 2011 I decided to try a gluten free diet as my homeopath suggested it would improve my health (years of skin conditions, constipation, bloated, stomach cramps to name but a few).

So I embarked on a gluten free adventure. In 2012 I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease so now instead of being what people perceived as a 'fashion statement' or 'Heidi just likes to rebel', I now had a medical condition that people took seriously.

But it kind of irks me that people have such a negative opinion of people who choose to go gluten free.

I mean, who's business is it any way?

I must admit my dinner invitations to peoples homes have reduced over the years!!! I even experienced a hilarious birthday treat one year where my fab friends surprised me with a birthday cake, sang me Happy Birthday, let me blow out the candles and then said 'Well you can't have any because it's not gluten free'....... that is a true story.

My irks are not so much that things are a little bit more expensive in my weekly shopping especially as me and my mini me also can't have dairy - but more so people's attitudes towards my gluten free life.

I eat gluten free because I feel better. But don't judge me on my food choices. Even if I am doing it to try to get thinner (by the way that doesn't really work, but I have reduced my bloated, sore tummy), so what if I want to follow a celeb trend, so what if I just want to do it to see what happens - it's really no ones business.

Some of my friends have embraced my gluten free life, making an awesome effort to serve a gluten free meal or snack when I come to visit. But don't fret if you are not one of those friends because I won't judge you!!

So the moral of my Monday morning rant is:

Don't judge people for the choices they make, let people do whatever makes them happy. But if you do have a little gluten free treat in your cupboard when I visit you would make my day!!! 

Have a great ya'll xx
Heidi
http://glutenzone.ie/


No comments:

Post a Comment