Wednesday 2 March 2016

Gluten Free, a Healthier Diet and the Placebo Effect


So many people ask me if gluten is bad for everyone.

I think what we have to do is look at the history of gluten and when it made its way into our diets, because gluten wasn’t widely accessible until the nineteenth century.

I firmly believe and remember this is an observation not a scientific fact, that quite possibly wheat in its earliest most unprocessed form was probably ok for the human digestive system.

I believe that all the chemicals, the processing of foods and additives are causing havoc with our stomachs thus causing us to be more sensitive to other foods like gluten and in my case dairy.

Do I think people feel better having a gluten free diet?

Yes I do.

But when people say to me ‘Your diet must be healthier because it’s gluten free’ that just isn’t the case.

If we were to stick to a Paleo style (cave man) diet of nuts, seeds, meat, fish, fruit and veg (all organic) then yes this is a much healthier diet.

But when Glutenzone are posting images of Tesco frozen battered onion rings and it reaches over 10,000 people in 24 hours – we know people are not necessarily looking to get healthier but simply replace the proceed gluten foods with a gluten free version!

BTW I am not criticizing anyone for this choice – I’m as guilty as the next person for saying ‘Oh if only I could eat that donut!’

But don’t think that a gluten free diet will be instantly healthier because that may not be the case.
There are many gluten free packaged foods out there that are packed with additives as we all know a gluten free cake doesn’t stay fresh for more than 24 hours!!

So before you embark on a gluten free diet thinking you’ll be instantly healthier, take a look at what you are replacing your foods with?

As a nutritional therapist when people first eliminate gluten from their diets I don’t tell them to buy gluten free bread, I give them ideas of how to live without any bread. There are plenty of gluten free grains out there that will give you plenty of energy without the tummy ache or bloat!

To get more natural ideas for your gluten free diet, sign up to our mailing list and you will receive a FREE copy of our Gluten Free Guide. www.glutenzone.ie

Have an awesome day.
Heidi xx

Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment